There are several other streams in town which the early settlers utilized by the erection of saw-mills, grist-mills and fulling-mills, and which in later days have been employed in manufacturing of various kinds, as will appear under its appropriate head in this History. 75 " To give all the Pew Room, to the subscribers, in the meet- ing-house on the wall on the Lore flower and in the Gallery, Excepting the Ministerall Pew, to Dispose of in order to " I nable the said subscribers to Finish the said meeting- house provided they Finish it in three years." * This meeting-house was situated on the Common, opposite the brick block. Hall to the south door of the church there was a continuous line of steps made of stones carefully prepared for the purpose. EL, some of these stones still remain, just as they were laid more than one hundred years ago. The parish voted "not to grant a Request of a Xumber of the Separates (so called) -which is to Sink their parish Rates.''* 1754. S'd gate to be Collered Read ; and that ye s'd David Hall make one half of ye fence adjoyning to other Lands in good stone wall four feet high."f 1755. The town " Voted to Chuse a Com'tt of five men, to Consider and T re ate with ye Several Ministers in Sutton to see what they will take for thair parts in ye minis- terial Land yearly, and make Report to ye Town at May Meeting next or order to Sell or Lease s'd Land." * Parish Records. And where as the Inhabitants of this Town, in a meeting on the fourth of July last Voted to concur with the Reccommendations of the late House of Representatives, altogether to renounce the Consumption of India Teas : There fore Resolved that any who shall be convicted of bringing in, purchasing, or using any India Teas in this Town, after this Day, shall be treated in the same manner as those that violate s'd Association. Passed unanimously in the affirmative." Upon the petition of certain of the inhabitants of Sutton, Worcester, Leicester and Oxford, that they may be incor- porated into a town, the General Assembly of this State has appointed a committee to view the territory, and also issued a citation to the several towns to confer with this committee. The house on the corner of the Sutton and Oxford roads seems to have been first in possession of a Mr. Grossman lives stood an old house built before the French and Indian war, it is supposed by Samuel Sibley or his father, in which Captain Samuel Sibley kept a tavern for many years. Sibley owned some three hundred acres of land, and as his sons became of age divided his farm with them. In 1841 he opened an office in this city, dividing his time with his duties at the college. Armsby was a warm and intelligent friend of art in all its manifesta- tions, and in him the brotherhood of artists always had a sympathetic friend. John S., the present owner, has much improved the place. One of his daughters married Newell Wedge, a graduate of Amherst College in the class of 1840. His crops reveal the skill of the hands at work, especially those of fruits and vegetables. and Mary A., well educated and successful teachers. In its Geological features the town presents nothing of a peculiar nature. It was a plain structure, having east, south and west porches. From the south door there was a broad aisle leading to the pulpit, which was upon the north side. In front of the old place, now owned by the venerable E. And there they will remain until some modern vandal, who has no respect for the past, and no reverence for the monuments it has left of its taste in matters of convenience, as well as beauty, shall see in them only a fitness for cap-stones of a wall, or underpinning of a building, and thus put them to ignoble use. " And it is also farther Resolved that when the major part of the Committee of Inspection have, upon due Tryal, found any one guilty of any of s'd Crimes they shall cause a notifi- cation thereof forth with to be posted up at the several Taverns, Mills and Smiths in this Town, that all the Inhabi- tants may know and avoid all Dealings with him or her. A meeting was called "To hear and consider upon the Articles of Confederation and perpetual Union, between the United States of America, agreeable to a late Resolve of the General Assembly of this State," and "To see what sum of money the Town will Raise for the purpose of lessening their proportion of the Public Debt, agreeable to a late Act of the General Assembly of this State, and pass any vote or votes relative thereto." The articles of confederation proposed by Congress were read, and a committee, consisting of Capt. Fletcher, then of Samuel Prentice, who sold to Simeon Hathaway, and here Isaac Hathaway was born, lived and died. Whitin, mother of Paul Whitin, Esq., and grandmother of Hon. They had several children, who resided in Northbridge. " His connection with the Albany hospital was whole hearted. Some miners during the present year commenced sinking a shaft here, hoping to find silver, but the enterprise has been abandoned. The next place east, now owned by James Prentice, was first setttled by John Day, who sold to Nathaniel Cheney, 372 HOMES OF THE who set out the big elm in front of the house in 1775. Prentice was born in Scotland, but came to Button and bought a place on the turnpike below Samuel Hall's, in 1835. But though the labor has been great, we have taken much pleasure in our work, which we have prepared not so much for the general reader as for our towns- men, and those who have gone out from us, and think of old Sutton as once their home, or that of their fathers or grandfathers. t These persons, and" others who were subsequently admitted as members of the Company, were called "Proprietors of Sutton." These Proprietors- kept a careful record of their proceedings. He said he fell from the beam and was jarred a little, but thought he should be all right in a day or two, and so he was. It was made up from one or two small buildings which were moved together, and with some slight additions fitted up for a tenement. The next house, called the Titus house, was built by Rus- sell Titus in 1848. Titus carried on the butchering business here for a few years. Hewett place, which is in the hands of the administrators, was prior to 1810 the old school-house. came here to take care of the farm and his father and mother about 1825 or 1826, and remained here until his death. 26, 1826, took the farm in 1843 and cared for his wife's 366 HOMES OF THE father and mother until their death. Chamber- lain bought it and removed from Whitin's here. Chamberlain's, and owned by him, was built by Willis Thayer. The house on the same spot put up by William Norbury was burned in March 1876. On the place near the woods stood an old house which was taken down by A. In 1778 and '79 Elijah Grossman lived in the house, and in 1784 moved to a house then standing a few rods east of where George Fletcher lives, the cellar hole of which is still to be seen, though trees of a large growth cover the whole ground.
have attained to honorable and prominent positions, may be found of special interest, and prove a stimulus to our young men to emulate their virtue, earn- est purpose and industry. Ecclesiastical and Educational we have given a brief history of the churches, and traced the progress of the town in the establishment of schools, as far as we were able to do so from the meagre data at hand. Manufacturing brief mention has been made of the early efforts of the fathers in mechanical industry when everything was made hy hand, and we have endeavored to show the gradual development of the man- ufacturing interests of the town to their present proportions. Genealogical we have given the history of the old families . To have and to hold all the said tract of land by the name of the tow r n of Sutton, with all the aforesaid premises. Sickness still prevailing deaths multiplied." f The parish appoint " Capt. To see what method the Town will come into for the effectually carrying into Execution said Association or any orders of the Provincial Congress, or of this Town relative thereto, and to determine how such shall be treated as Transgress, us the Town shall think proper. A bag hung up at one corner of a room, would be the means of saving many which would be otherwise lost. James Freeland a Committee to Inspect and to prosecute all Breches of Law agreeable to a Late act of the General Assembly of this State, Intitled an act against Monopoly and Forestalling." * The above advertisement was repeated in several papers, and TWELVE PENCE per pound was offered. The house where Richmond Burt lives was built by James Elliot, and subsequently owned by Levi Elliot, who died here in 1846. The place was sold to Benjamin Richardson, who put up a blacksmith's shop and carried on blacksmithing in connection with farm work. John M., the brother, was during that time in the service of his country in the Union army. Samuel Morse built the house now on this farm in 1845, and lived in it till his death by accident, July 7, 1850, by being thrown from a wagon at the yard of Prescott's Mill, July 5th. As a student he evinced special fondness for anatomical and physiological studies, and manifested great skill in the preparation and arrangement of anatomical specimens; so much so that Dr.
One hundred and four family names will be found in this part, and under these names more than one thousand families have mention. Emoluments, Profits, Privi- leges and appurtenances thereto belonging, with and under 1'2 ANNALS OF THE ihe severall savings, reservations 'Provisos and conditions herein before expressed. In its physical aspect it presented many attractive features, and was a favorite resort of its native owners, who reserved a home within its limits. To see if the Town will Choose a Committee to Receive and forward Donations given for the Relief of the Towns of Boston and Charlestown, suffering under the operation * Town Records. If the Ladies should not make a fortune by this piece of economy, they will at least have the satisfac- tion of knowing they are doing an effectual service to the community, which with EIGHT PENCE per pound, the price UOAV given for clean white rags, they must be sensible will be a sufficient reward." * 1779. " Chese Ebenezer Waters, John Elliot and Nehemiah Gale a Committee of Correspondence, Inspection and Safety this present year." March 8th. Merrick Titus married Patty Richardson, daughter of Benjamin, and lived here until his death in 1864. The barn on this place was burned by an incendiary in 1877. Samuel was the son of Joshua, who was the son of Daniel, who came from Sherburne to Walpole. March made him his chief assistant during his term of study, and he occasionally supplied his place in the lecture room.
Description: Combine your creativity with the unparalleled power of Corel DRAW® Graphics Suite X8 to design graphics and layouts, edit photos, and create websites. Combine your creativity with the unparalleled power of Corel DRAW® Graphics Suite X8 to design graphics and layouts, edit photos, and create websites.
With advanced support for Windows 10, multi-monitor viewing and 4K displays, the suite lets first-time users, graphics pros, small business owners and design enthusiasts deliver professional results with speed and confidence.
In Testimony AYhereof I the said Joseph Dudley, Esqr., Governor have signed these presents and caused the Publiek seal of the Province of Massachusetts Bay aforesaid to be hereunto affixed. There are within its limits several natural ponds fed largely by hidden springs, whose outlets afford tine water privileges. The form in which the deed shall be given is recorded. Hall and the Parish agree to submit the salary diffi- culty to a committee of "Iiidiferent men" of whom Mr. The committee are Ephraim Shearman, Edward Davis, and John Brown, who report as follows : We, the subscribers, being mutually Chosen and appointed by the Rev. David Hall and the first Parish In Sutton to Settle the matter of Deficulty Relating to the Rev. Hall's salery, having mett and hearing the parties upon the Premisses & Veiwing the Records of the first Contracts made att his settlement, and after a full hearing of Evi- dences, Papers and Records Relating thereto, have mutually agreed and Determined in the following manner (viz.), that the Contract, in our judgment, allowing for Mr. The parish "'Voted to Receive the Meeting House under the present Sircumstances the subscriber's Treasurer to Deliver up to the Parrish, all the money they have within the Treas- urer," and "to Dispose of the Two hind seats below, both the mens and womans seats in s'd meeting-House in order to Build Pews and that the money they are sold for, is to be Disposed towards finishing the meeting-house." " Voted that Mr. 4 ' Voted to adopt the Association of the Continental Con- gress. Jonathan Holman, agents to meet this committee, and "enter this Town's Objections w r hy said Parish should not be incorporated into a Town." Feb. Warren Hathaway built the house that was burned in 1818, and moved in, but died in a day or two after from over work. Sibley was a pioneer, and has left as a monument of his industry nine miles of stone wall which he built and caused to be built. Nelson's estate, and in 1824 Samuel Morse of Wrentham bought it and moved upon it in April of the same year. Morse married Miss Hannah Herring of Dedham, and had three daughters when he came to town, Eveline E., Roxa and Julia Ann. We need scarcely add that during all the succeeding years of the institution he remained its steadfast friend, ever laboring with unflagging zeal for its advancement.